[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r44977 - in grass/trunk: gui/wxpython/xml imagery imagery/i.evapo.PT

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:11:57 EST 2011

Having user-installable toolboxes is a nice idea in theory. But there are at least 2 important pragmatic issues to be addressed

1) Installing these over Linux is a different thing than installing them in Windows or on the Mac. I haven't tested the extension module recently (i.e., last 6 months), but it didn't work for Mac and I don't know if it has worked reliably for Windows. Also note that on the Mac, you cannot compile things unless you install the Developer Tools, something most people don't install (or even know about) by default. To make separate and smoothly installable packages of optional tools, we would need to maintain them in binary form for users to install from somewhere. Something that works as smoothly as FireFox extensions is what we should aim for. Even OpenOffice extensions sometime have installation bombs.

2) There is not yet any consensus on what constitutes "core" tools. We need to have a discussion that goes beyond the developer group on this. What the developers think are core might not be to a larger user base.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)