[GRASS-dev] Two new strange behaviours in GRASS 6.4.1SVN

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 14 08:55:16 EST 2011

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> I noticed two strange new things in 6.4.1svn that may
> both be related to the recent GUI changes.
>
> 1. I configured and compiled GRASS explicitely without
> Tcl/Tk and without Python support. The configure script
> correctly reported a "No" for both options.
> Yet if I just run e.g. "r.out.gdal" (i.e. with no options
> or flags), I get:
>
> python: can't open file '/usr/local/grass-6.4.1svn/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>
> Whereas I would expect the synopsis to be displayed in
> a CLI-only environment. And I really didn't want GRASS
> to interact with my system's Python at all.

There isn't a way to disable this behaviour, although you can choose
between Tcl/Tk and Python using the GRASS_GUI environment variable, or
a select terminal-based interaction by setting GRASS_UI_TERM. It isn't
a new feature; it has always been this way (before the GUI dialogs
were implemented, you would always get the terminal-based
interaction).

If you want the synopsis, you have to explicitly use the "help"
option.

--without-python and --without-tcltk disable the checks for libraries
and header files, and thus the ability to compile code which uses
those libraries. They don't have any effect upon code which invokes
the python/wish interpreters via system() etc.