[GRASS-dev] Default removal type in g.remove

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 14 19:14:49 EST 2011

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> If I run g.remove with the onle the name of a non-existing
> map, I get this:
>
>   g.remove tmp
>   Removing raster <tmp>
>   WARNING: Raster map <tmp> not found
>   WARNING: <tmp> nothing removed
>
> This indicates that g.remove tries to remove a raster of
> name "tmp" by default. I am not sure this is good behaviour.
> What if the user meant a vector map and forgot to explicitely
> type "vect=tmp". In such a case, the wrong map might gets
> deleted, instead of just an error message being issued.
>
> Also, the synopsis for g.remove does not indicate that there
> is a default removal type.
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug or intended behaviour.

It's "default" behaviour. If the first argument doesn't contain an "="
character, it's assumed to be the value of the first registered
option.

This behaviour applies to all modules. Currently, there isn't any way
for individual commands to disable it without resorting to "hacks",
e.g. making the first option a dummy option (which would then show up
in the help output and manual page).