[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 CLI startup

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 14 19:20:21 EST 2011

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> I just installed grass7 and attempted to start it
> in CLI-only mode, never having started it before
> on my machine:
>
>   grass70 -text
>
> The result (after the Welcome message) was:
>
> Starting GRASS GIS...
> /home/benni/<UNKNOWN>/<UNKNOWN>/.gislock: No such file or directory
> ERROR: /usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/etc/lock:
> Unable to properly access "/home/benni/<UNKNOWN>/<UNKNOWN>/.gislock"
> Please notify system personel.
>
> Before I file a ticket: did I overlook something?
> I'd hate to have to notify my system personel ;)

The "-text" option doesn't work in 7.0. All curses-based functionality
has been removed from 7.0.

Apart from having been re-written in Python, the start-up script
hasn't actually changed much since 6.x. In particular, the -text
option is still recognised, although the curses-based interface which
it invoked no longer exists.