[GRASS-dev] Problem compiling Grass 7

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 25 18:50:10 EST 2011

David Townshend wrote:

> Not sure if this is a bug or something I've done, but it looks like several
> python scripts contain a mixture of tabs and spaces (e.g. tools/g.html2man/
> g.html2man.py), causing the compile to fail.  I am using python 2.7 on Arch
> Linux, and its the latest GRASS 7 trunk.  Am I doing something wrong?

It appears that Arch has broken their Python installation by
installing Python 3 as "python" (rather than as "python3"). As Python
3 is effectively a different language to Python 2, scripts written for
Python 2 are unlikely to work.

I suggest creating a directory containing a symlink named "python"
which refers to the Python 2 interpreter, then setting PATH to include
this directory.

Changing the formatting would eliminate the immediate error, but there
are plenty of other differences between Python 2 and Python 3, and I
don't expect GRASS to switch to Python 3 any time soon.