[GRASS-dev] r45050: v.info: -r/-m/-t -> shell param; GEM; parser.c

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:34:25 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/1/18 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>:
>> If so, why don't change some "standard" or "conventions" in
>> GRASS7? ;-)
>
> because there's nothing really wrong with the old way?
> If there seem to many buttons in the GUI for a module,
> maybe the GUI module creation code should try for two columns
> or something? personally I am not too overwhelmed by the
> v.info and g.region 'Print' tabs, IMO they are fine and easy.

well, the number of flags is the same as the number of introduced
options (shell parameter in v.info case), so number of checkboxes in
GUI dialogs is not changed. They are just logically grouped.

>> I remember discussion about number of flags of g.region.
>> There was suggestion to reduce number of flags as I have
>> done for v.info.
>
> it wasn't just discussion, it was committed and became a horrible
> mess for 2-3 months before it got partially reverted/cleaned up,
> and maybe now is still not as clean and clear as it once was.
> IIRC it was having a single -g flag which changed the behavior
> of all the other print flags. partly I'm trying to avoid that
> mess from happening again. a good idea perhaps, but it just
> didn't work in practice and made the entire GIS harder to use
> because it introduced a new paradigm.

Probably time to make it better ;-)

Beside joking I would incline to keep -p/-g flag and content control
by the parameter.

-p Print in human readable format
-g Print in shell script style

Anyway there only few flags in g.region which could be possible
grouped into options of the new parameter (-e,-c,-3).

print=basic,extent,center,3d

What do you think about that?

[...]

Speaking about v.info to add -g flag and content control by

print=basic,extent,topo

[...]

Same can be done for r.info

print=range,resolution,type,region,units,datum,title

r.info print=range,type

would print only range and type.

r.info -g print=units,title

would print units and title in shell script style.

?

Martin