[GRASS-dev] G3d library code review and raster lib tile approach

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 19:56:11 EDT 2011

Glynn wrote:
> The metadata is stored in the mapset; only the actual
> raster data is read and written via GDAL; linked maps still
> require metadata files.

(much as shapefiles do, or worldfiles+tiffs do; not that I like
having so many when it comes to distributing them, but just to
note that similar multifile formats have been done before)

> > Should such a strong external dependency really be
> > considered?
>
> GDAL is already almost mandatory.

the bit I worry about is putting so much of the core functionality
onto a 3rd party sole-supplier over which we have limited control.
probably the main problem from a practical sense is diff't users
mixing and matching diff't versions of gdal with diff't versions
of grass and expecting that all still acts in a consistent way.
saying "GRASS 7.0.3 requires GDAL 2.0.4" kind of defeats the
purpose, although I guess depending on gdal >= 2.0.0 would be
reasonable enough.

2c,
Hamish