[GRASS-dev] Installing own Python script

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 1 11:56:44 EDT 2011

Pierre Roudier wrote:

> > The per-module "install" target (which doesn't exist for scripts at
> > present) copies a single module (along with its manual page in HTML
> > and man formats) from the dist.<arch> directory to the installation
> > directory.
> >
> > AFAICT, this is only useful if you're pushing your changes into the
> > installed version so frequently that having to do a full "make install"
> > from the top level each time would actually be a problem.
>
> Which could be interesting when developing that module/script?

If you're developing, you should be running GRASS from the staging
directory rather than using an installed version.

Apart from convenience, leaving the installed version alone means that
you can compare the behaviour of the modified version to the installed
version.

FWIW, the only time I run "make install" is if I've been working on
the Makefiles and I want to check that "make install" still works.