[GRASS-dev] Re: testing in 6.5 before backporting to 6.4

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 17 12:52:21 EDT 2011

The lack of manpower makes it even more important that all developers test any changes before committing--including backporting. I agree with Glynn that moving all dev work to 7 would simplify things. But it is also important that all developers only commit code that passes a WFM (works for me) validation test. This will catch errors and typos that are easy to fix by the coder at the time of submitting but which are very difficult to track down by someone else later. Only code that the developer can be sure works on his/her local machine should be committed. This kind of test is simple enough to do. If doing a WFM validation on code changes seems to take too much time, not doing it eats up much, much more of time in the rest of the dev and user community. Even with a WFM test, there will always be the possibility that a code change can cause unforeseen problems in other parts of the code base or may not work on another platform. These are problematic enough to identify and debug without having to also deal with errors that should have been caught by the developer with a minimum of checking. We simply don't have the manpower for the hours needed to debug simple errors that should have been caught at the time of committing. This should apply to the dev branch as well as the release branch for a couple of reasons. First, many people use the dev branch on a regular basis. Making a change that breaks a vital function by not testing before committing, impacts the work of many people. Yes there is a risk to using a dev version, but we also should follow practices that attempt to limit as much as possible introducing easily avoidable bugs into a program that is used by so many people globally. Secondly, if all code has at least passed a WFM test, then bugs that are encountered in a dev branch are easier to track down.

Along the same lines, I don't think that developers should be committing 'unfinished' code that knowingly does not work but is linked to an interface element. When a user encounters a button or pull-down that does nothing, does something incorrectly, or crashes a module it is very frustrating. The user does not know if it is a bug, a platform issue, or a problem with their own system. This starts a chain of emails and tests in the user and dev community to try and solve the issue. When this is done intentionally, it needlessly eats into the very limited developer resources. Sometimes there are good reasons why it is necessary to commit unfinished code; in such cases it should be well-commented as such (so that others can help complete it if necessary or at least avoid duplication) and there should be no associated interface element that could confuse and frustrate users. It is not enough to put in the manual that x function does not yet work. Just don't add the button for x function to the interface in the first place. Again, this is quite easy to do for GRASS development.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671(SHESC), 480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: 	http://csdc.asu.edu, http://shesc.asu.edu
		http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton