[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #1330: wxGUI: "UnicodeEncodeError:
'ascii' codec can't encode characters" in pl_PL.UTF-8
brunclik at atlas.cz
Thu Jun 23 17:34:14 EDT 2011
> When grass64 or grass70 started with LANG=C, no errors. WAIT: after that,
> trying it again with my normal LANG=cs_CZ.utf8 setting (starting with just
> grass64 or grass70 commad), no error anymore! ........
> I will try to reproduce that on my other machine and also look, if the
> "fix" persists after reboot (tomorow).
OK, so I did a few tests on my notebook, all in GRASS 6.4.1. Every session
has these steps:
* start GRASS with a locale (LANG=something /usr/bin/grass)
* open a mapset (same in all tests)
* load a raster or two into map view
* try to save the .grc file
Instead of the LANG=C I used LANG=en_US.utf8, which also works (more on that
1) GRASS with my default cs_CZ.utf8 locale: Saving .grc file *fails*.
2) GRASS with en_US.utf8 locale: Saving .grc OK.
3) GRASS with my default cs_CZ.utf8 locale: Saving .grc file OK.
5) GRASS with my default cs_CZ.utf8 locale: Saving .grc file OK.
So it really seems that temporarly using English cures the problem.
In the meantime I also observed (but it was in GRASS 7) that with LANG=C
there are problems with '@'character in names of layers (layer at mapset).
That's why I use rather en_US.utf8 in these tests
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/GRASS-GIS-1330-wxGUI-UnicodeEncodeError-ascii-codec-can-t-encode-characters-in-pl-PL-UTF-8-tp6189279p6510087.html
Sent from the Grass - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
More information about the grass-dev