[GRASS-dev] GSoC Week 1 Report

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 06:36:20 EDT 2011

Margherita wrote:
> (I'll not commit every week but rather only when I need testing)

are you maintaining a local git repository, or..?
(I'd encourage you to commit early, commit often)

>    * How to solve problem of "local region" in previews. It must not
> affect on global region and not to change it if module will stop before
> finishing.

see the "variables" help page and scripts in GRASS for the GRASS_REGION and
WIND_OVERRIDE environment variables.

>    * Where and how previews will be stored (mapset, temporary directory
> in ~/home). To keep it multi-platform, it is important to handle paths
> in windows and unix.

see the g.tempfile module, G_tempfile() C function, and grass.tempfile()
python function.  ->  $MAPSET/.tmp/

have fun,
Hamish