[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-windows] RE: Compiling WINGrass

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 18:04:25 EST 2011

Glynn wrote:
> It means that you need GNU make 3.81.
>
> Originally, the policy was to require 3.81 for 7.0 but ensure that 6.x
> works with older versions. I don't know whether that policy has been
> abandoned, or if it's just a case of careless back-porting from 7.0.
>
> [CC to grass-dev for clarification; I think that we discussed this
> fairly recently, but I don't recall the outcome.]

Hi,

fwiw, I still have a back room Xeon number cruncher which is running RHEL 4,
which shipped with gnu make 3.80. [distro supported by RH until March 2012,
or 2015 if you pay more]

It just sort of works so I don't rebuild grass on it very often (nor
have had the motivation to upgrade to a newer CentOS or RHEL) but it
would be nice if the grass 6.x line continued to support older
configurations. Even if no one else is interested I'm happy to support
that if pointed in the right direction.

cheers,
Hamish