[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r49205 - in grass/trunk: lib/python raster/r.info

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 06:13:58 EST 2011

Markus Metz wrote:
> "-g" is generally used in GRASS to print info in shell
> script style.

that is not in dispute at all, and has not changed.
the change puts things back closer to how they were before.

the question is if in future -g should be a defacto debug dump
of all possibilities (in shell style), or more limited info as
it has been in grass 5 and 6.

> A bunch of flags each printing one bit of information in
> shell style is IMHO a bit messy,

as per last email, "r.info -r elevation" is an elegant and
beautiful bit of command line magic to work with, and not
something I am going to part with lightly.

> one single flag should do (most of the times).

in which context? called by a human on the command line or
by a module? I agree that if a module/gui tool is calling
you might as well consolidate, but when doing custom scripting
using g.region, r.info, v.info as fundamental building blocks?
In that case no -- K.I.S.S. and don't have 1/2 dozen n= enviro
variables overwriting each other.

best,
Hamish