[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-SVN] r49205 - in grass/trunk:lib/python raster/r.info

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Nov 14 10:46:23 EST 2011

I remember we had a long discussion in the dev group along the same lines years back. The result was to decide that -g should not print anything by itself, but should be a shell-script-style modifier for other flags that print information. For g.region, the main test case, the proper syntax for printing all relevant information should be g.region -gp (-g modifies the print flag -p)

However, for backwards compatibility, the stand-alone shortcut of g.region -g (= -gp) would be maintained through GRASS 6. In GRASS 7, this new syntax was supposed to be enforced (-g does nothing by itself). This way, we would not have these continuing discussions of what -g is supposed to print. This has not happened and so we are still having these discussions.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)