[GRASS-dev] Vect_*_fatal_error()

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Nov 17 03:44:42 EST 2011

On 14/11/11 21:53, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Sören Gebbert wrote:
>> The next point is to have a separate vector digitizing process for the
>> wxGUI digitizer. How should this work? Using RPC to have access to the
>> vector library in wx C++ code? Implementing special editing modules
>> ...  which make vector editing IMHO very slow?
>
> No. Just make the digitiser a separate process which imports
> grass.lib.vector etc. If it crashes, you just lose the digitiser
> rather than losing the entire GUI.

Jumping in out of no where here, but I would like to understand the
fundamental issue here: would using a separate process imply having to
use a separate display ? The whole idea of the current integration in
the wxgui as I understand it is to allow digitizing a map in the current
map display. If this is not possible with a separate process, then the
debate should probably be about that...

I like the way the new digitizer integrates into the map display, but I
find even more important to not fundamentally modify the logic of grass
as a collection of small modules. So if the former would imply the
latter, then I would prefer dropping that and keeping a separate window
for elements such as the digitzer and nviz.

Moritz