[GRASS-dev] grass 6.x g.extension install path layout simplification

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 24 16:34:07 EST 2011

Hamish wrote:

> If there are no objections for the man page moving and symlink replacement
> I'd like to backport that before 6.4.2rc3, aka ASAP.

The add-ons directory should follow exactly the same structure as the
main $GISBASE directory.

Ultimately, I'd like to see $GISBASE replaced by a path, so that all
"GRASS" files are located via the path. That will only work if the
relative filename is independent of whether the actual file resides in
the main installation or the add-ons directory.

> Finally, g.extension.sh's central `make` command also adds
> -I$TMPDIR/$DIST_DIR/include and -L$TMPDIR/$DIST_DIR/lib. Are those
> actually needed by the build?

In 7.0, add-ons should be built with $(ARCH_DISTDIR) referring to the
staging directory. Any libraries/headers generated during the build
will end up there, and any subsequent libraries and modules will find
them there.

But really, there shouldn't be any need for g.extension in 7.0. It
should be sufficient to simply run e.g.:

	make MODULE_TOPDIR=$GISBASE ARCH_DISTDIR=$HOME/.grass7/addons