[GRASS-dev] Re: z-exag in wxnviz

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sat Nov 26 00:14:57 EST 2011

Hi Helena,

Perhaps the SG3D version is looking at, but the previous scaling in wxNVIZ did not correspond to the 'real' scale. I dug into the code quite deeply. What appears to have been happening was that a ratio of the x range, y range, and z range was calculated in the native units for those dimensions (e.g., for latlon, x and y are calculated in degrees and z is calculated in meters). Then, based on that ratio, a scaling factor is set to either 1:1, 1:100, or 1:1000. It is not clear to me exactly how this is calculated as it spans multiple classes and methods in the C and wxPython modules. The scaling factor is then used to instantiate the z-exag slider and an initial z value. The z values were way, way too high for latlon regions. Anna made it possible to type in a smaller value, which made it appear better. But I don't think that smaller value was related in any direct way to the actual scaling. What I did was to take the initial optimal scaling factor (and I'm not sure how it is calculated) and instantiate a z-exag slider that varies from this initial optimum (=1) to 100.

What needs to be done IMHO is to figure out what a 1:1 horizontal/vertical ratio should be for any map and set that to 1 in the z-exag slider. BUT, we need to decide what a 1:1 ratio really is. This is easy for a projected DEM. Using grass libraries, it should be pretty easy for a latlon DEM too. For other kinds of maps (e.g., horizontal in meters and vertical in K-factor values) we need to decide how to treat these. This calculation should be made where the scaling is now done. I agree with you that it needs to be improved, but the way it was before I "fixed" it was worse than it is now.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)