[GRASS-dev] v.in.wfs problem bug in 6.4.2RC2?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 15:42:48 EST 2011

Hamish wrote:
> strangely 'grep -r OPT_GIS_[a-z]' and egrep both
> returned [A-Z] as well, and I had to save the result
> to a file and do the search with vim.
> 'grep -r OPT_GIS_[[:lower:]]' was ok though.
> On 1 another unrelated squeeze box I got the same
> effect, but on a third I got the expected behaviour.
> ?!  no aliases, md5sums of binaries match, case
> sensitive searches of non-regex strings work.. weird

with a little help from Scraze:
 from 'man grep', 'Character Classes and Bracket Expressions': "For example, in the default C locale, [a-d] is equivalent to [abcd].  Many locales sort characters in dictionary order, and in these locales [a-d] is typically not equivalent to [abcd]; it might be equivalent to [aBbCcDd], for example." - it's a locales thing!

indeed it is.
  echo "export LANG=C" >> ~/.profile
and all is better again.

Hamish