[GRASS-dev] visualize GRASS vector/raster on web

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:59:48 EST 2011

The workflow that we use in the desktop GUI is as follow (in schematic).

Set the output environment using the PNG driver and associated environmental variables
run d.vect, d.rast, etc -> these produce temporary *.pnm (or *.png) files
composite the individual *.pnm files into a single graphic file using g.pnmcomp (another compositer could be used like wxPython graphic tools)
display the final, composited *.pnm file in a wxPython canvas

With the proper environmental settings, this works so fast that there is little time lag. For a web based version, it will take more time to send the image back to the desktop from the server than to do the rendering.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck with it.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)