[GRASS-dev] tickets to solve for GRASS 6.4.2 release

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 04:18:53 EDT 2011

Hamish:
> > how do the two compare performance wise? are the options/
> > flags 100% backwards compatible? give identical results?

Markus Metz:
> We (you and me and others) had this exact discussion
> previously.
> Excerpts from the previous discussion:
>
> v.rast.stats does not scale at all, for e.g. 10000 areas it
> is completely useless whereas v.rast.stats2 is 10000x faster,

ok, thanks for the refresher. Mainly I am interested to know if
the replacement preserves backwards compatibility both in terms
of CLI and (meaingful) numerical results, and if it doesn't, what
work is needed so that it does. i.e. to the end-user will the
upgrade be invisible except that it runs a lot faster now?

cheers,
Hamish