[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 scripts overhaul

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 17:56:00 EDT 2011

Markus Metz wrote:
> Considering that OGR supports writing out gpx or anything
> gpsbabel supports, v.out.gps tries to do what v.out.ogr can
> already do? So why not getting rid of v.out.gps?

v.out.ogr can certainly _not_ export to anything that gpsbabel
supports. That's the entire point of v.out.gps. GPX is the
main overlap and thus why it's used as the in-between format
in the script: the script exports as GPX with v.out.ogr internally
and then gpsbabel converts from GPX to whatever.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html
http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html

In fact v.out.gps roughly doubles the number of vector formats
GRASS can export to. Being able to load up your handheld GPSs
with wpts/trks/rtes directly from the GIS is a great and useful
feature to have.

keep it.

n.b. If Glynn's python port is working well, there's no reason
to keep the old shell script version of it in trunk any more.

thanks,
Hamish

ps- note I still need to port (aka rewrite) the v.in.gpsbabel
shell script to v.in.gps (python) in trunk. v.in.garmin can be
dropped (it has richer support for older Garmin hardware).
 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/45975