[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 scripts overhaul

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 18:11:02 EDT 2011

Hamish:
> > v.out.ogr can certainly _not_ export to anything that
> > gpsbabel supports.

Markus M:
> But see
> http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_gpsbabel.html

hmmm, a most interesting and welcome development.

none the less, wrt v.out.gps I'd still argue for a separate,
specialized, and easy to use front end (script) for interfacing
with field work GPSs. I was not sure for v.in.gps if we should
use the v.in.ogr GPX method directly or stay with the earlier
gpsbabel grass vector ascii format (grass_write_ascii.style)
definition + csv->db.in.ogr method. In the interest of strength
through diversity I'm now leaning towards the gpsbabel style-
file method. That makes reprojection to/from WGS84 slightly
easier than fun with ogr2ogr, and I'd suspect make the operation
a bit less lossy, but I suspect we'll only know the answer to the
lossiness question after trying both ways.

In the past the various v.in.garmin, v.in.gpsbabel, and
v.in.ogr(GPX)-only methods all ended with very different levels
of metadata/attribute loss, with the oldest of the 3 (v.in.garmin)
giving the least loss, in situations where the gps was an old
enough garmin for it to work.

Hamish