[GRASS-dev] Status of the qgis-grass plugin, esp. on Windows

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Sep 9 15:35:42 EDT 2011

Hi all.
As qgis-grass-windows user know, we had a couple of nasty bugs [0],[1] preventing a
proper use of GRASS within QGIS on Windows. One of the bugs seemed fixed upstream,
but we still missed an osgeo4w package for it. We (Faunalia) do not use Windows, but
we do a lot of courses, and many users have Windows machines, so we had the choice of
either removing GRASS from our courses or get our hands dirty and debug GRASS and its
QGIS plugin on Win. Of course we did the latter.
We believe now everything should be solved, so all well. However, we would like to
point out that:
- a grass-dev package, built overnight, is missing from osgeo4w; we think this is
quite bad, as testing on win lags very much behind in this way; of course grass-only
users can install the standalone, but we think a complete environment is better; IOHO
this should not be hard to set up, so we encourage GRASS maintainers to do so (AFAIK
Martin Landa is working on this); of course we're ready to help if necessary
- the qgis-grass plugin is receiving very little, if any, care; I think we (Faunalia)
did most of the work on it in the last few years; we're happy to do it, but we miss
the resource to do it on a regular basis (e.g. there is a number of bugs to be
fixed). Are we the only users, or there are more around? If so, please stand up and
help us, either patching the code or providing some resources, or even better
becoming the maintainer of the plugin, otherwise we're afraid the maintenance will
become more and more difficult.
All the best.
[Giuseppe | Giovanni | Paolo] @ Faunalia
--