[GRASS-dev] Re: sample dataset update

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Mon Sep 19 23:28:57 EDT 2011

I have just finished a beta version of elevation and aerial photography time series mapset
to be used with nc_spm_08 or gisdemo location (it was much more work than expected).

Here are the links (I added them to the related wiki page:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Sample_datasets)

Reference location for NC with projection information
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/media/gisdemo.zip

Time series mapset and data description with instructions
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/media/nc_coast_demseries.zip
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/media/readme_nc_coast_demseries.txt

 To keep the mapset at reasonable size I have packaged the raw point clouds
separately, they can be imported with v.in.ascii or r.in.xyz
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/media/nc_coast_pointseries.zip

The data set is rather complex with variable spatial coverage and time step,
(see the description) but should be useful for testing and teaching
more complex analyses.

Here is a "getting started" with this data set assignment
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/Assign_GISamodel/a_timeseries.html
(I will ad a space-time cube practice soon).

We have just received 2009 and 2010 lidar data, as well as 2011 imagery
 and Post hurricane Irene lidar survey was just flown, so I will try to include those into the final version.
I may use the las format for the newer lidar data

Finally a note - given that a mapset does not have coordinate system information
associated with it I am wondering whether packaging this mapset with its own
location would be a better idea.

Please let me know any suggestions, comments for the data set - I will try to
do as much as time allows before the final release.

Helena

P.S. Soeren, I see your submission of t.* commands - we will give it a try
with these data when it is ready.

P.S.S I am also working on the new roads and streams networks mapset
(there are several versions of these data sets so I need to find out which one to include)