[GRASS-dev] Raster history: why not reclass

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 07:49:06 EDT 2011

Paolo wrote:
> The history of rasters is one of the very nice features of
> grass.

thanks.. it is all done by hand in the last few years though,
and there's probably lots we missed. It has been enhanced
quite a bit in trunk to not be limited to 80 chars per line.

I think we still have lots we could do to make metadata better.
(any external library to support INSPIRE as xml..?)

> I noticed that in reclassified rasters, however, the rules
> are not saved,

actually, the rules are all that are saved- it's a virtual map.
the file in $MAPSET/cellhd/ could be pasted together with the
result of r.category or r.stats in a script or spreadsheet
easily enough.

> so the user does not have a clue of how the
> raster have been reclassified.

r.info (in normal report mode) has a special test for reclass
maps and prints all that info.

> Is there any special reason for this? Any plan to implement it?

besides the r.info list which is there now, how about new -p and
-g flags added to r.reclass to print them in form or csv format?
(out= would need the conditionally-required magic flag in trunk)
or perhaps a new -c flag for r.info for that?

Hamish