[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.2RC1 planning

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 04:05:36 EDT 2011

> Hamish wrote:
> > the main thing I'd like to see get done before rc1 is an answer on
> > the double call to $(MAKE) if INST_NOW=y is passed to Grass.make.
> >
> > AFAICT that's the only thing left blocking g.extension[.sh] from
> > finally working with the Ubuntu & Debian packages by users
> > without the full source tree installed.
> > (the first time $(MAKE) is called the module is successfully created in
> > the $MAPSET/.tmp/ dirs. but then it tries to run $(MAKE) again a second
> > time, but put things in the install dir where the user doesn't have
> > write permission)

Glynn:
> So don't set INST_NOW=y;

Without that it fails almost immediately.

> just set ARCH_DISTDIR explicitly.

It already was.

> Or if, for some reason, you must use INST_NOW=y, set ARCH_INSTDIR to
> the desired installation directory.

some progress: I had been setting UNIX_BIN, but by setting ARCH_BINDIR
instead it is now working from the ubuntu command line with just the
grass+grass-dev package installed.  Some scripts and C modules tested,
I'm sure there are more issues but for now it seems ok.

one that failed was d.barb, it failed looking for -lfreetype, although
libfreetype6.so.* is found in /usr/lib. but not the static lib which
ships with the libfreetype6-dev package. After install the freetype -dev
package it built ok. d.barb only uses R_text(), not freetype directly, so
I'm not sure if that's to be expected or not.
?

This looks like it will fail if there are spaces in the path names:

make MODULE_TOPDIR="$GISBASE" \
   ARCH_INC="-I$GISBASE/include -I${MYINST_DIR}/include -I$TMPDIR/$DIST_DIR/include" \
   ARCH_LIBPATH="-L$GISBASE/lib -L${MYINST_DIR}/lib -L$TMPDIR/$DIST_DIR/lib" \

any hints on how to better quote ARCH_INC and ARCH_LIBPATH components?

thanks,
Hamish