[GRASS-dev] trying to update column with another text column

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Apr 4 02:02:57 EDT 2012

I want to update a column with the value of another column. I am using v.db.update.

The docs say that I can update a column with the value of another column by specifying that column in the value field. In fact, if I put the names of numeric columns, this works fine (e.g., v.db.update map=myvector layer=1 column=summary value=col3 + col4).

But if I do something like this for a string column, I simply get the string of the name of the column (e.g., v.db.update map=myvector layer=1 column=summary value=col5 put "col5" into the summary column, NOT the strings that are STORED in col5).

Are the docs wrong or is this a bug?

I'm working with GRASS 7

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University
www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu<http://csdc.asu.edu/>