[GRASS-dev] wxGUI changing resolution incorrectly

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Apr 13 15:29:39 EDT 2012

When I restarted GRASS 7, this corrected itself. It almost seems like the GUI picked up a region setting (I don't know how it got to 50 arc seconds) and kept it, in spite of me changing g.region. When I restarted, the GUI began reading the current region again properly.

Michael

On Apr 13, 2012, at 1:09 AM, <grass-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> From: Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreugel at gmail.com>
> Date: April 13, 2012 1:09:08 AM MDT
> To: "grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org" <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] wxGUI changing resolution incorrectly
>

> Hi, this relates to earlier messages, including from me, about problems with the region settings. It seemed to be solved, but I am again experiencing similar problems as reported below.
>
> Like Michael, I tried different functions, like r.patch and r.proj, and they all give trouble when used with the GUI version of the module. But, as Michael reported, the same modules work fine when used on the command line.
>
> This is indeed a serious problem, but hopefully the pointer that this is related to the GUI version of these modules might help to identify the problem.
>

> On 04/13/2012 01:23 AM, Michael Barton wrote:
>>
>> This is really odd.
>>
>> I've been using GRASS 7 (compiled yesterday) trying to patch together a 90m DEM with ocean data downscaled from an ETOP2 DEM.
>>
>> I repeatedly was getting files with a resulting resolution of NS Res: 0:00:50.139276  and EW Res: 0:00:53.20197 even though I repeatedly set the resolution to 3 arc sec using g.region.
>>
>> I've discovered that this is what happens if I interpolate points, resample rasters, patch rasters, or run r.shaded.relief (a script) using GUI versions of GRASS modules.
>>
>> But if I do EXACTLY the same thing from the terminal command line--even with copying the commands from the GUI--I get the proper 90m (3 arc sec) resolution.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea what is happening here? This is potentially serious for analysis.

C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University