[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r52607 - grass/trunk/raster/r.lake

Maris Nartiss maris.gis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:45:07 PDT 2012

Hello,
just to clarify.
It's not a GCC bug but a valid warning of an exploitable issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontrolled_format_string
Still for most of GRASS codebase it's harmless as strings are fixed
and not user provided.
Those, who don't see any warnings, should try CFLAGS="-Wall -Wformat
-Wno-format-extra-args -Wformat-security -Wformat-nonliteral
-Wformat=2" make

The question now is - why we shouldn't change code to get rid of most
of compiler warnings? Gazzillion of irrelevant warnings might just
hide some more important ones thus I personally would be +1 for
working around most common warnings to make compilation more silent
and thus more easy to spot any new issues.

Maris.

PS. Markus M - please provide Your CFLAGS as I don't see any warnings
when compiling r.lake with gcc version 4.6.3 (Gentoo 4.6.3 p1.3,
pie-0.5.1).