[GRASS-dev] GRASS performance references

Rasmus Lundgaard Borgstrøm rlb at grasdk.com
Tue Aug 14 19:35:04 PDT 2012

Hi Peter

Thanks for supplying your info and links, looks very interesting and relevant.

"What kind of quantitative measurements and performance metrics would you consider useful for GRASS GIS ?"
Basically measurements of volume and speed of processing certain image amounts;
E.g. GRASS GIS loaded, processed (e.g. standard classification) and exported an 10 GB RapidEye image mosaic in XX minutes/hours.
Ideally this flow should be compared with identical processed performed in closed source SW, as ENVI, Erdas, ArcGIS and other Open Source SW.

I would also like to identify any bottlenecks/showstoppers with regards to data volume.

I have seen something similar in the CASCADOSS project;
http://www.cascadoss.eu/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=14
But not exactly what I wanted to showcase and use for documentation/justification of our setup.

Kind regards,
Rasmus