[GRASS-dev] too many branches

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 04:28:56 PDT 2012

Markus M wrote:
>>> IMHO, it would make maintenance much easier if one of 6.4
>>> and 6.5 would go rather sooner than later.
Hamish:
> > I absolutely and quite strongly disagree. It is invaluable
> > to have a staging area to test backports
Markus N:
> Here I have severe doubts that this happens. Can you
> demonstrate that things are significantly tested?

Sure, just in the fact that they've been in 6.5svn for that
long without further problems. If it was going to break something
on Windows or Macs which I haven't tested on, there's a rather
good chance that we'd hear about it. For my part, I *only*
backport stuff to 6.4.x which I am 100% satisfied with and
confident in. If I am in anyway unsure of a change, especially
if it is just to fix a small or abstract bug, I much prefer
to have it mature in 6.5svn for a while until it has achieved
some history of not destroying people's data. If there is a
nasty bug I usually would not wait.

> Here your promised backports, all TODO:

if you're grumpy with me for not backporting stuff, be grumpy
with me for being distracted; it's not the branch's fault. :-)

> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/192
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1690
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/91
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1513
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1315
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1312
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1142
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/335

I'll have a look at these as soon as I am able.

> If these backports never happen (I cannot take care of all
> of them)

I don't ask you to take care of them, in fact I'm sure you have
better things to do and I would not ask you to, but if there is
any ticket that I should be taking care of and seem to have
forgotten, feel free to re-assign it to me in trac (or not, and
wait for my next trawl through the trac & RT lists, they do
happen).

If a known bug fix doesn't get into the next release, yes,
that's not nice for the end users, it's good we have trac to
keep us organized in that regard. If a half-baked fix gets into
6.4, then that's worse IMO as it threatens our super-stable
reputation and goals.

> Furthermore:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/173
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/175
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/778

I'll look at those too, but I'm going to be off the radar for
a few more days yet.

thanks,
Hamish