[GRASS-dev] Generic groups in GRASS

Mohammed Rashad mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 04:45:55 PST 2012

Hi All,

As mentioned in GRASS ImageryLib TODO I am making groups to be generic in
GRASS.

This might be very simple like creating a new REF file for vector. But the
question is do we need only raster or vector groups?.

Will it be worth adding a mix of raster/vector in a single group?

When adding raster maps into a group a "REF" file is created in grass db.

The data structure REF[0] can accept only raster data. It has no. of files,
colortable,

Should we need a new data structure called "GRef" or something which can
store vector styles?

This will help to created a group with vector maps having a different style
option. These style options can be used for rendering them in gui.
This basically stores the filling option/line color, label color etc which
can be stored and a stack of layers can use it. I thought of styling option
as in QGIS

Does this make any sense?

[0] http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/structRef.html

--