[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r54302 - grass/trunk/scripts/r.mask

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 23:55:25 PST 2012

Hi,

On 16 December 2012 01:11, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> 2012/12/16  <svn_grass at osgeo.org>:
>>
>>> r.mask: fix #1838
>>
>> great addition! Probably we could also merge `maskcats` with `cats`
>> parameter. The same syntax could be used for raster and vectors.
>>
>> maskcats=" 1 2 3 thru 7 *"
>>
>> would become
>>
>> cats="1,2,3-7,*"
>
> This is not possible because r.reclass expects the (raster) maskcats
> syntax, not the (vector) cats syntax. Each syntax is well established
> and I don't think it's a good idea to sync the two (requiring too many
> low-level changes that are neither bug fixes nor performance
> improvements).

But it is interface improvement. It would be great for novices.

However, it is also interface change. I thought that compatibility
would be the problem. I understand that all calls to r.reclass and
others which are using "thru" syntax need to be changed. What do you
mean by low-level changes?

Maybe, it would be possible to have some backwards compatibility. In
Python (with regular expressions), it would be probably easy to
implement at least some level of compatibility (not sure about C).

Vaclav