[GRASS-dev] Raster3d map header format change and lib gis modifications

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 1 06:37:16 EST 2012

Dear developer,
i would like to inform about my plans to modify the header format of
raster3d maps.
The reason is the integration of vertical unit support to distinguish
between 3d spatial voxel cubes
and space time (2d + 1d) voxel cubes represented as raster3d maps.

I have created a ticket about this issue, to discuss these changes
befor i commit them:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1562

Modifications will be made in the raster3d library, the gis library
and several related header files.
Additionally i will add the new module r3.support, so the user is able
to create/edit title, description,
history and the units of a raster3d map. The modification of the
raster3d map header format will lead normally to
incompatibilities regarding older versions, but my implementation
takes care of this issue, so backward compatibility
will be assured.

In case there are no objections regarding the modifications, i will
submit my patch next week.

Best regards
Soeren