[GRASS-dev] adding spacetime datasets to element list

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:52:27 EST 2012

Hi Michael,

2012/2/17 Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>:
> To be consistent with other kinds of GRASS datasets, we should be able to list strds, stvds, etc from g.list. Because this will require some updating of other aspects of GRASS, as you note, it is good to start thinking of it now. Hopefully, you won't need to do this all since there are are others who are familiar with these modules once your format for the datasets is stable--and because you are doing all the work with the temporal modules.

I am thinking since the beginning of the TGIS implementation about a
seamless integration in GRASS.
My plan at the beginning was to implement the framework in C, but
because the implementation effort was really enormous i decided to use
a pure Python solution. Hence all the temporal logic is implemented
using Python. The only way to integrate this seamlessly into the
existing GRASS C-modules is to call the temporal python modules for
registration, un-registration, listing, renaming, copying and removal
tasks from inside the C-modules.
I plan to implement a temporal GIS framework C library(skeleton in
lib/temporal) which can be used in g.list, g.remove, g.rename and so
on. The implemented C-functions will call the corresponding temporal
Python modules and process their output.

But i need much more time for the implementation.

Best regards
Soeren