[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.4.2 (was: GRASS extensions/addons mismatch)

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 07:27:45 EST 2012


2011/12/23 Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
>>> Apparently this issue is far from resolved, therefore I
>>> would opt for releasing rc3 asap and fix that in 6.4.3.
>> fine with me..
> note that we have still two blockers [1].
> Martin
> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&group=type&order=priority&priority=blocker&priority=critical&milestone=6.4.2&milestone=6.4.1&milestone=6.4.0

recently I have fixed newly added blocker [1], so we have still 2
blocker remaining. Personally I am not satisfied with our release
policy. It happed many times that RC stage was too long (not weeks but
months). When looking at release policy of GDAL, RC stage takes few
weeks, not few mouth as in our case. Currently

Release/6.4.2RC2-News (15 Nov 2011)
Release/6.4.2RC1-News (10 October 2011)

In the beginning of December Hamish asked for RC3 (at least for me
with no clear reason, but that's not the point). Since this time
nothing happened (no RC3), besides that 2 more blockers have been
reported (both accidentally by Hamish). If we manage to get RC3 in one
week, we could get final 6.4.2 in the end of January, in the best case
3 months for RC stage. And then finally go ahead.

It would be nice if all active developers would do everything for
releasing and not trying to avoid every attempt to release. We should
keep some realistic level.

* our developers team is quite small, man power is low
* assuming two releases for year, we cannot have RC stage for 3 or
more months -> it's very time-consuming task especially for release
manager, in other words we would be in RC stage most of the time
(funny idea)
* -> please mark blockers with *real* care
* if blocker is marked by core developer, he/she should try to fix it
and to postponing final release for month or two
* the longer RC stage the more bugs are reported during this time, the
higher probability for blockers, the higher probability for new and
new RCs
* bugs will reported in any case

We need to decide

1) release often (let's say 2x by year with max RC2 for each release
and release final within *one* month from RC1)
2) release once (by year/two years) have RC for months

I would vote for 1) ideally

in two weeks RC2
with one month final

We should follow some rules and making our release policy smooth.

I would like to thank release manager (Markus N) for incredible
patience. He can sometimes get impression that he is only one from the
developer team who like to release GRASS, putting new and new RC on
his shoulders. Unfortunately I haven't his patience, I would like to
open discussion about our releasing policy and make it reasonable.


[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1526

Martin Landa <landa.martin gmail.com> * http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa

More information about the grass-dev mailing list