[GRASS-dev] grass toolboxes idea continued (g.extension)

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 4 14:22:06 EST 2012

I think we should separate the process from finding
common groups/labels from the GUI design. GRASS uses
pull-down menus, ArcGIS uses a foldable tree widget.
One user might prefer the first, another the second.

ArcGIS uses many levels of nesting in its toolbox,
and does not offer a way for the user to search for
a tool by keyword. SEXTANTE also uses a toolbox, but
with a flat, one-level nesting and a powerful search
widget, which makes a whole big difference.

But the point is that they all (and SAGA, QGIS,
etc.) face the same basic problem, i.e. how to sort
hundreds of tools into groups that make sense (i.e.
tools that are commonly used together are in the
same group) and how to tag/label them so it becomes
obvious for the ("typical") user where to look for them.

This could be unified across open source GIS apps to
a large degree, boosting productivity for users that
switch between apps and reducing learning times.

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
{*} Geospatial Consultant