[GRASS-dev] Struggling using two layered vector maps with v.what.rast

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 25 10:47:47 EST 2012

Hi Sören,

2012/1/25 Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at googlemail.com>:
> Hi Markus,
>
> 2012/1/25 Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com>:

>>> I will have a look.
>>
>> Also the v.net.* modules, which make use of layers to distinguish
>> between line and node costs with the help of layers.

>>> Maybe this function:
>>> off_t Vect_rewrite_line(struct Map_info *Map, int line, int type,
>>>                        const struct line_pnts *points, const struct line_cats *cats)
>>>
>>> can be used to add new layer using existing categories (from layer 1?)
>>> to an existing vector map?
>>
>> Adding a new layer always means adding new categories, also if they
>> are identical to categories in a different layer. The difference
>> between Vect_rewrite_line and the combination of Vect_delete_line,
>> Vect_write_line is only that Vect_rewrite_line is supposed to check if
>> the new line fits into the space used by the old line.
>
> If i understand this correctly the vector library provides the
> mechanism to implement vector modules to add new layer and copying
> existing categories into the new layer using the same vector map?

Yes. But it is not recommended because the coor file will be filled up
with dead lines (waste of disk space, slowing down reading).

>>> My problem is that i want to successively add new layers (tables) to
>>> existing vector maps using existing categories.
>>
>> The problem is that the categories are not existing for a new layer
>> because of the definition of a new layer. If there would be categories
>> existing for that layer, the layer would already exist.
>> I guess you must either use v.category option=transfer or have a bunch
>> of tables but only one vector with one layer and disconnect/reconnect
>> the tables as needed, only one table would then be connected to the
>> vector at any given time. I have used that successfully for time
>> series points some time ago, it's the fastest solution but needs some
>> care in handling the tables. Probably not an option for the temporal
>> database unless you want to introduce db.table.timestamp...
>
> This is currently not an option.
> But i guess i can modify v.category to support the transfer of
> categories to more than a single layer of a new map:
>
>  v.category --o input=soils output=soils1 option=transfer
> layer=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,...,2000
>
> This will copy the cats of vector map soils from layer 1 into the new
> layer 1 - 2000 of vector map soils2.
> Can you estimate how hard the implementation will be?

Not so hard ;) But with thousands of vector layers you could
experience slowed down operations involving categories, slowed down
exponentially with the number of layers. But maybe this only becomes
an issue with hundreds of thousands of vector layers.

> btw:
> * v.timestamp with layer support is in svn
> * Vector layer timestamp support in the temporal GIS implementation is
> in my local svn copy and   needs more testing -> i need to create
> vector maps with multiple categorized layer.

For the time being, you could run v.category option=transfer in a loop.

Markus M