[GRASS-dev] limits of r.patch

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jul 18 11:24:10 PDT 2012

Margherita Di Leo wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, I can modify ulimit only if I have root
> privileges, no way to do it with sudo, right?

Resource limits are per-process, and inherited. The "ulimit" command
(which is a shell built-in) changes the limits for the current shell
process; the new limit will be inherited by any child processes.

On most Linux systems, resource limits are set on login by the
pam_limits module according to the settings contained in
/etc/security/limits.conf /etc/security/limits.d/*.conf.

You should be able to edit those files if you have root privilege via
sudo, but you will need to log in again before any changes take
effect.

To change the limits for an existing session, you may be able to use
something like:

	sudo bash
	ulimit ...
	su -c bash <username>

However, sudo will probably reset certain environment variables,
particularly LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so you may need to reset those in the
new shell.