[GRASS-dev] please help review osgeo live dvd summary docs

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Mon Jul 23 15:05:33 PDT 2012

Hamish,

the quickstart looks very nice and I did not find any major problems (but other may have a look too)

I just have couple comments:

- given that OSgeo live will be mostly used by new users should you even mention
the tcltk interface? It sounds a little bit confusing for people who don't know what TclTk is
and makes GRASS look overly complex. Instead, it would be useful to put here a link to
the wxPython GUI Help page so that people know where to find explanation of what you
are talking about later on (especially what each button on the layer manager means
- the verbal description may not be clear enough for some users).

Also, the note about the netbook use probably cannot be avoided at this time but in future
releases should we just redesign the big image on top of startup screen into something
smaller to avoid this problem?

Note that for shaded relief (and watersheds ?) there is a button in the GUI that is turned on
and will add the resulting map to the layer manager automatically so you don't need to add
it, although I am not sure this is set as a default on the live DVD version.

As for the legend and scale - we often have trouble moving around the legend
with mouse after moving around the scale - even if I click on
the legend the mouse still picks up the scale - there is a way around it but it can be
frustrating for the first time users. It may be safer to position the legend first and
the scale second but even that may be tricky. This may be the case only for mac users
(or perhaps windows) so it may work properly on Live DVD under linux.

For the vector material, I don't have anything for spearfish, but you can find some examples that produce
nice maps for nc data set using d.vect.thematic at the end og this page (including the GUI instrcutions)
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/GIS_anal_grass/GIS_Anal_grvisual.html

and then some database stuff here (not really cleaned up)
http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/Assign_GISamodel/Vect_GISamodel.html

Helena

P.S. We have had discussion already, but talking about scale would it be possible to
 change meters to m for the scale in future releases -
it looks funny written in full given that kilometers are km (and it also makes scale too long).
Given that mi should be used for miles
(see wiki - the National Institute of Standards and Technology uses and recommends mi),
there shouldn't be any confusion that m is meters.

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
2800 Faucette Drive, Rm. 1125 Jordan Hall
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
hmitaso at ncsu.edu