[GRASS-dev] please help review osgeo live dvd summary docs

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 05:02:21 PDT 2012

Anna wrote:
> I think the only way to make it work is to create some new
> flag in the d.barscale and d.legend modules which prints the
> size of the image.
> Otherwise the GUI has no information about the size,
> especially for d.barscale. Something like ps.map -b flag is
> needed, like Hamish did before. Would it be possible, Hamish?

mmm, everything is possible, but I don't really like adding new
options too much to work around problems, I'd rather try to fix
the problem itself. otherwise after a while all it gets out of
hand and the modules get too complicated to use. that is not
meant to be a ban on new options, just some pushback to make
sure the programmers have exhausted all other ideas first.

If cropping the image is the only way, I wonder if we could
write a g.pnmcrop the same way that was done for g.pnmcomp,
mimicking (or cloning) the NetPBM tool for that purpose. It
could output the final size to stdout as an optional flag.

But I think there must be a better way if we completely rethink
the approach to how it is implemented right now. What that is,
I'm not sure, but I feel it's out there somewhere waiting to be
found.

thanks,
Hamish