[GRASS-dev] stop button in GUI?

Anna Kratochvílová kratochanna at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 09:43:25 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu> wrote:

> There is a "stop" button in the GUI of all modules. When I press it, the
> GUI dialog returns to a state where I can reinitiate the module process. But
> looking in my system monitor, the old process is still continuing. Is this
> the case for all systems or just the Mac? If for all systems, the "stop"
> button seems somewhat misleading.
>
> Michael

to summarize: on Linux it is not working, on Windows I cannot test.
The important part is this Popen object (core/gcmd.py):
line 540:
            self.module = Popen(args,
                                stdin = subprocess.PIPE,
                                stdout = subprocess.PIPE,
                                stderr = subprocess.PIPE,
                                shell = sys.platform == "win32",
                                env = self.env)

and then line 578:
            self.module.kill()
which doesn't work. I tried to call terminate(), for my Ubuntu it
works, however I have no idea why. This change is in r52081 in grass7,
so Micheal or anyone else, you can test it. The problem might be in
calling this Popen from thread ( which seems to be not recommended
according to some internet discussions). This is all I can do because
I really don't understand this issue.

Anna