[GRASS-dev] replace r.in.wms by r.in.wms2 (in trunk)

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:13:23 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to suggest to replace `r.in.wms` module available in
trunk by the new python module `r.in.wms2` (which is currently
available from addons [1]). This module has been recently developed by
Stepan Turek within his bachelor thesis. The module `r.in.wms` (in
trunk) is just pythonized original solution (bunch of shell scripts)
from GRASS 6. Stepan developed the new GRASS module in Python from
scratch mainly because the fact that original code of `r.in.wms` is
quite messy, and very hard to maintain [2]. Moreover `r.in.wms` is not
working in many cases. New `r.in.wms2` is using GDAL WMS driver (by
default), also non-GDAL based method (as `r.in.wms` does) is
implemented.

Let me know in the case of any objections or comments.

Thanks, Martin

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass7/raster/r.in.wms2
[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/scripts/r.in.wms