[GRASS-dev] Add a cost distance measure to GRASS GIS lib

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 1 14:02:19 EST 2012

I believe we are thinking in different directions here.
My idea was not about _least_ cost paths, but about
replacing straight-line distance measurements with
cost-based distances -- for more realism when modelling
physical processes. Just like you'd use a geodetic
distance instead of eculidean in a lat/lon region.

What I was thinking about was to have just one CONST
raster that encodes the cost of moving through each
of its cells (in all directions in the simple
isotropic case).

All GRASS modules that use fixed neighborhoods or
flexible search radii would then measure the distance
between two points by accumulating the costs in the
cells on the straight line between the two points.

Suppose the user has created a COST raster with "1"
representing "no additional cost" and "2" representing
"doubled cost for crossing steep terrain". Then if
he/she specified 100 m as e.g. the search radius for
a KDE, the maximum search distance will in some
extreme cases already be reached after approximately
50 m, because those 50 cost as much as 100 m on flat
terrain. That would make the kernel's shape flexible
and adjusted to the real terrain, instead of a fixed
circle.

The same idea translates 1:1 to IDW, r.neighbors, etc.

Ben