[GRASS-dev] Image Segmentation - Summer of Code

Eric Momsen eric.momsen at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:29:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the nice greetings, I'm very impressed with how polite
and helpful the GRASS community is.

There is a wiki [1] and source code repository [2] for the Image
Segmentation - Google Summer of Code project.

The mentors for the project have already provided a lot of advice, if there
is anyone else with an interest in segmentation you are welcome to add to
the Specifications or other areas of the wiki.

For the "code" I have started an outline, but I think there are still too
many questions to call it pseudocode yet!.  Many of the questions are for
myself to research and answer.  Of course, I welcome input and suggestions
for all of it, but some of the bigger questions are:

1.  How to best deal with images that are larger then available memory.  (I
assume too much disk I/O would be slow, but simple tiling could lead to
poor segmentation at the tile borders.)

2.  How to find neighbors. (Is this already available somewhere in GRASS?)

3.  Would any functions would be useful as a general library function.

4.  If library functions are already available for any steps.

I saw GSoC is on the agenda for the Sprint, if it would be helpful (and
isn't too early in the day!) I can join by Google video / IRC / etc.

Regards,
Eric

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GSoC_2012_Image_Segmentation

[2]