[GRASS-dev] Standalone GUI modules: Makefile

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Nov 10 10:22:55 PST 2012

Vaclav Petras wrote:

> Now, I'm asking for help with Makefile for this module. Martin helped
> me a lot in identifying what has to be done and he prepared the
> Makefile [2]. But this Makefile need to be generalized in order to
> avoid code duplication. I'm not able to do it so I'm asking you to
> help.

If you want to avoid duplication, it would help to avoid giving each
module two distinct names (e.g. g.gui.mapswipe and MapSwipe).

A prefix or suffix can be handled easily enough, but the case
conversion is more awkward. make doesn't have a function for case
conversion, and using $(shell ...) is inefficient and relies upon the
existence of a utility such as "tr".

If one can't be generated automatically from the other, then we'd need
to implement a table, as is done for library names in Grass.make.
"mapswipe" can be generated from "MapSwipe" (at the cost of running an
external command), but we can't do the reverse. Also, if one form uses
camel-case while the other use underscores, it gets more complicated.

Basically: how important is it for each module to have a WXPGM
distinct from PGM?