[GRASS-dev] Messing with locale during start-up in r53620

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 02:35:17 PST 2012

Hi,

2012/11/14 Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com>:

> all fuss is about MY personal opinion that GRASS SHOULD NOT mess with
> system provided locale and language settings UNLESS requested. I
> re-run commands from previous mail with r52597 and here is result:
> LANG=garbage bin.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/grass70
> Satīra pagaidu failus...
> Startē GRASS GIS...
> (and GRASS starts just fine without any error messages as it is not
> playing tricks with LANG at all)

you asked for language called 'garbage'
$ LANG=garbage grass70
Failed to set LC_ALL to garbage.UTF-8 (unsupported locale setting)

it indicates that there is no such locales on your system. So far
seems to be something what I would expect.

> After changing language to de (unsupported locale on my system):
> bin.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/grass70
> Failed to set LC_ALL to de_DE.UTF-8
> THIS TEXT IS IN GERMAN
> Starting GRASS GIS...
>
> (process:11622): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> (process:11622): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Changing language settings in wxGUI preferences to 'de'. Since I don't
have german locales on my system, it fails for wxWidgets.

Failed to set LC_ALL to de_DE.UTF-8 (unsupported locale setting)

The rest of GUI starts in german, since po files for 'de' are
available. I am not sure what you mean by mess you are referring to.
Probably you are point out that major part of GUI is localized (comes
from GRASS po files) and minor part (wxWidgets) is kept in system
locales. We have three options:

1. keep current behaviour
2. if setting LC_ALL fails then go back to system settings (don't use
GRASS po files).
3. fix settings wxWidgets locales even if locales are not available.

Martin