[GRASS-dev] working on a add on to calculate MESS

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 05:23:37 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am working on a shell script to calculate the multi-environmental
similarity surface (MESS), which represents how similar a point is to a
reference set of points, with respect to a set of predictor variables (V1,
V2, ...) (Elith, J., Kearney, M., & Phillips, S. 2010. The art of modelling
range-shifting species. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 1: 330–342.). The
MESS is implemented in Maxent, but having this function in GRASS allows for
more flexibility and easier incorporation in other scripts.

I am completely new to shell scripting (or any other programming except a
little bit of R scripting) so I am sure there is a lot to improve. For
example, the script depends on R, and I am not sure if and how I can build
in checks to make sure this runs on different platforms (I am working on
Linux and have no easy way to check on Windows). There is also the issue of
dealing with temporary data. I have used the approach I found in other
scripts, but I  am not sure it is all done properly as it is now. The part
to be run in R can be improved for sure too, but that is something I can
and will work on (but if people have suggestions, including how to do this
completely in GRASS without R that would be great).

I have attached the current script + help file. It runs on my computer, but
I hope somebody on the list wants to have a look at it to check / test it.
I would also like to know what else is needed in case I want to add it to
the addon wiki.

Cheers,

Paulo