[GRASS-dev] images2gif.py in grass

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:15:08 PDT 2012

Hi,
i hope i do not start a flame war. :)

2012/10/16 Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/10/16 Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>:
>> gif is a nice simple option how to present 'moving images'. It is
>> widely supported and we don't need any external dependency in case of
>> using images2gif.py. I would like to see this option even if we were
>> able to export a real video.
>
> agreed, Martin

IMHO animated GIF's have so many limitations i wouldn't support it for
GIS related map animations at all. The results will be to horrible.

Some arguments against it:
* Very small color range support: 8 bit per pixel == 256 colors for a picture
* True color is only supported when creating 256 bit tiles in a single picture,
  each tile can use different parts of a 24 bit RGB color space
* Only suitable for small animations and low-resolution film clips
* No control over animation frame rate/animation flow/pausing while
playing GIF's

Best regards
Soeren