[GRASS-dev] dateutil dependency killing GRASS 7

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Oct 18 02:19:21 PDT 2012

On 18/10/12 10:13, Sören Gebbert wrote:
> I had in mind to allow the user to select the dateutil dependency at
> compile time so he is aware if grass is build with or without
> dateutil,

How does a python module play a role at build-time ? You could build
grass on a system that doesn't have dateutil, but then run it on one
that does and it should work...

> listed in the summary of the configure script. So i need to
> add a configure check for dateutil ... . Besides of that, when we make
> it optional, we will have the situation of users that have dateutil
> and user that don't. This will result in help/tutorial/scripts that
> work only with dateutil but not without ... IMHO a mess.

That's the real question. If functionality is so different that docs
have to be fundamentally different then it's an issue, IMHO. Is that the
case ?

If however, dateutil just provides more convenient date input options,
can't you just write the docs with having non-dateutil users in mind,
with a hint somewhere about what using dateutil offers as extras ?

> ps.:
> May i share your thoughts on the list?

We are on the list ;-)

Moritz